After heavy downpour in Delhi, there has been waterlogging at many places. In such a situation, these wires lying open on many roads are becoming fatal. So far two people have died due to electrocution in rain water.
New Delhi: A shocking incident came to light in the country’s capital last Sunday (June 25) when a woman died of electrocution at New Delhi railway station. The NHRC has issued notices to the Railway Board, Delhi Government and the city police chief regarding this matter. About half an hour before the incident at Delhi’s main railway station, a similar incident took place in another part of the city in which a 17-year-old boy died.
This incident came to light on 25 June in Taimur Nagar, Delhi. This boy named Sohail was going somewhere after leaving the house. Meanwhile, he died due to electrocution from an open electric wire lying in the rainwater filled on the road. When the police officers visited the spot, they found that there was water in the street after the rain and the boy died due to electric shock.
Sohail, a resident of Bangalore, came to his uncle’s house in New Friends Colony, Delhi to study. He lived at his uncle’s house during the day and went to sleep at night at another relative’s house in East Delhi’s Seemapuri. Najma, a relative of the deceased boy, told news agency ANI that he died of electrocution due to an open wire in the rainwater. He had come here from Bangalore to study.
Sohail’s family members are originally from West Bengal. He said that Sohail was taken to the hospital, where he was declared brought dead. Police has registered a complaint and started investigation. This accident happened on Sunday afternoon. Half an hour later, 34-year-old teacher Sakshi Ahuja, about 16 km from Taimur Nagar, also became a victim of a similar accident.
Delhi Police and Railways have started separate investigations in view of this incident. Railway said that a committee has been formed to investigate the death of the woman. This incident took place when Sakshi Ahuja was going to board the train to Chandigarh at New Delhi Railway Station premises near gate number one. As per preliminary investigation, Ahuja lost her balance in the rain. When she grabbed an electric pole to support herself, she came in contact with some open wires lying there and died due to electrocution.
Police said that at the time of the incident, the woman was accompanied by her father, mother, brother, sister and two children. Ahuja was a teacher in a school in Priyadarshini Vihar of Laxmi Nagar area. Monsoon rains have been lashing the country’s capital since Sunday. Due to which there has also been waterlogging at many places. Meanwhile, these wires lying open on the roads are becoming deadly.