1. Home
  2. World
  3. As heavy bombardment follows, Mariupol forced to buries its dead by roadside

As heavy bombardment follows, Mariupol forced to buries its dead by roadside

By Ruchi Upadhyay 
Updated Date
As heavy bombardment follows, Mariupol forced to buries its dead by roadside

Mariupol: Mariupol is currently going through a tough time, which is filled with horror and confusion. As the port city in eastern Ukraine is witnessing heaviest bombardment by Russian forces, it is burying its dead in makeshift graves by the roadside.

Also Read :- India's decision to ban wheat export created stir in global markets; US Agriculture Secy has 'deep concern'

Several people have either died due to bombing while others have succumbed to ailments, which have been exacerbated by the huge stress in the last few weeks on being unable to get medical help.

Andrei, a man who was burying dead neighbours in graves on roadside, said, “I hope there will be some sort of a reburial and this is just temporary.”

Sunday marks just another day of horror and confusion in Mariupol, the port city in eastern Ukraine that has seen some of the heaviest bombardment and fighting since Russia began its invasion on Feb. 24.

Pausing with his shovel, Andrei said the neighbours he was burying were not killed by Russian shells or grenades but had died of ailments exacerbated by the huge stress of the past few weeks after being unable to get medical help.

Also Read :- UK sets out 26 new sanctions against Russia over the Ukrainian war

“The bombs did not kill them but all this… the situation – the basements, the lack of physical activity, the stress, the cold as well,” he said.

Nearby several bodies lay covered in dirty blankets. Some people trudged past carrying their belongings in plastic bags or cardboard boxes. A boy pushed a supermarket trolley past a bombed-out car.

Andrei said he and his friends were advised by Ukraine’s military to store the dead bodies in cold basements, but these are already filled with people sheltering from Russian artillery and missile attacks.

“I hope there will be some sort of a reburial and this is just temporary,” he added, gesturing to the hole in the ground.

Everything is destroyed

Also Read :- On Russian official TV, two captured British fighters request to be switched with a pro-Russian politician

Some 400,000 people have been trapped in the strategic port city on the Sea of Azov for more than two weeks, with little if any access to water, food, heating or electricity, local authorities say.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Saturday that Russia’s siege of Mariupol was “a terror that will be remembered for centuries to come”.

Russia’s Defence Ministry blamed “Ukrainian nationalists” on Sunday for what it called the “humanitarian catastrophe” in Mariupol and gave the city until the early hours of Monday to surrender. It said 59,000 people had been evacuated from Mariupol in the last three days, TASS news agency reported.

Sitting in a basement that has now been her home for 11 days, Irina Chernenko, a librarian at the university, said she did not know how much longer they could survive like this.

“We hope for the best – to live as human beings. The apartment block is destroyed, everything is destroyed. Where can we go from the basement?” she said.

“We’re cooking at a fire. For now we have some food and some firewood. In a week we will have nothing, no food at all.”

Also Read :- Ukraine-returned students seek govt help for admission in Indian Medical Colleges

Some parts of the city are controlled by Russian forces and some remain under Ukrainian control, so residents do not know the fate of relatives who live in other districts.

Natalia, a kindergarten worker, said she was staying with her children and could not return to her own flat across town.

“There is no news, no information. Everything is ruined… We don’t know how we will live now.”

Further reading:
For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook and Twitter ...