1. Home
  2. Politics
  3. Asaduddin Owaisi attack: Amit Shah urges AIMIM chief to accept Centre’s security cover

Asaduddin Owaisi attack: Amit Shah urges AIMIM chief to accept Centre’s security cover

By Saima Siddiqui 
Updated Date

New Delhi: After All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief and Hyderabad MP, Asaduddin Owaisi, rejected Centre’s Z’ category security proposed after a deadly attack on his convoy, Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday urged Mr Owaisi to accept the government’s security cover from the floor of the Rajya Sabha.

Also Read :- Amit Shah claims BJP set to break all records in upcoming Gujarat assembly polls

Addressing the house Shah informed that Owaisi had no prescheduled event in the Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh where two men had fired shots on his car while returning to Delhi last week.

“Two unidentified people had fired on Owaisi’s convoy. He came out safe but there were 3 bullet marks on lower portion of his vehicle,” the Home Minister said, adding that “the incident was witnessed by three witnesses. An FIR has been registered”.

“No information about his movement was sent to District Control Room beforehand. After the incident, he reached Delhi safely,” Shah said.

“Taking quick action two accused were arrested, two unauthorised pistols and an Alto car were recovered from them. Forensic team is doing a minute investigation of the car and the incident site, evidence being collected,” he said.

Also Read :- PM, Rajnath Singh visits LK Advani's residence on his 95th birthday

The Home Ministry, he said took a report from the state government immediately. On the basis of earlier inputs from central security agencies, Centre had ordered to provide him security. But due to his unwillingness to avail security cover, Delhi and Telangana Police’s efforts to provide him security didn’t succeed, Shah said.

Shah also said that the threat to Owaisi has been reassessed and a bulletproof vehicle and Z category security has also been given to him. “But, as per verbal info by himself, he has refused to accept it. I request him to accept the security given to him by the Central government,” he said.

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi’s car was fired multiple times in Hapur while he was returning to Delhi after attending election-related events in western Uttar Pradesh on Thursday evening, a week before assembly polls begin in the state. Three-four rounds of bullets were fired at Owaisi’s car, according to police. No one was injured in the incident.

As of now, police has captured two accused for firing at Owaisi’s car. An FIR has been lodged on the attempt to murder charge in the case. The duo has been remanded in judicial custody. One of the accused has been identified as Sachin, a resident of Badalpur in Gautam Buddh Nagar while the other is Shubham, a native of Nakur in Saharanpur. As per police reports, two pistols were seized from the attackers and a Maruti Alto car has also been impounded in connection with the case. According to the police, the weapons were bought from Meerut.

Following the security loop, the Hyderabad MP was given ‘Z’ category security, however, he rejected the protection

Also Read :- Amit Shah rejects any talks with Pakistan, claiming J&K to be free from terrorism

Meanwhile, Asaduddin Owaisi was given Z’ category security by the centre, however, the leader rejected the protection and asked the government to instead make him an A category citizen at par with all.

“Why was UAPA (Unlawful Activities Prevention Act) not invoked against those who fired at me? …I want to live, to speak. My life will be safe when the poor are safe. I will not get scared of those who shot at my car,” he said in the Lok Sabha.

Further reading:
For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...