1. Home
  2. Health
  3. Beware! Copper cocktail mugs may be the reason for food poisoning

Beware! Copper cocktail mugs may be the reason for food poisoning

By Team Pardaphash 
Updated Date

According to the information given by the health officials, the popular copper cocktail mugs might cause food poisoning. Popular cocktail mugs might give people more than just a hangover and a cool look; it can give their users food poisoning.

Also Read :- Mulayam Singh Yadav's condition turns serious; he's on life-saving drugs: Hospital sources

The state’s Alcoholic Beverages Division made the declaration after examining the poisonous nature of copper and copper alloys mixing with food. According to the Food and Drug Administration’s Moral Food Code, copper is prohibited from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0.

Liquids with a pH below 6.0 include vinegar, fruit juice and wine. Cocktails like the Moscow Mule, which are widely served in copper mugs and include lime juice, fall far below this standard. The warning comes as the Mule has risen in popularity with social media users, who enjoy posting pictures of the attractive mugs.

“When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food,” according to the Alcoholic Beverages Division’s statement. Copper poisoning can lead to stomach pains, diarrhea, vomiting and even yellowing of the skin.

The health warning does note that copper mugs that have an inner lining using a different metal like nickel or stainless steel are still safe to drink from.

Also Read :- RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat emphasises women's empowerment and decision-making authority at Dussehra event

For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...