Manipur: Amidst reports of CM's removal, sources in the government said, "There is no discussion on changing the chief minister."
New Delhi: Sources said today that Manipur Chief Minister N Biren will continue in office. The nation is in shock and anger over the video of two women being paraded naked in the violence-hit state. On social media, many people, including the Congress, have demanded the removal of the Chief Minister, accusing the government of huge failure.
Amidst these reports, sources in the government said, “There is no discussion on changing the chief minister, but the priority is to ensure that law and order remains under control.” Sources said, “The situation in Manipur is under control. The Home Minister spoke to the Kuki groups this morning. Assured them of prompt action… The Center is in constant touch with the state.”
Yesterday the video of the incident of May 4 surfaced and went viral. In it, a group of men are seen making women walk naked. Women were being molested. They were taken to a paddy field, where one of them was allegedly gang-raped. No action was taken in the matter for more than 70 days. One person was arrested after yesterday’s outcry over the incident. So far four people have been arrested regarding this incident.
The video created fear and anger among citizens over the alleged inaction of the state government, and social media was flooded with messages criticizing the state’s BJP government. A massive protest rally was organized in Manipur this morning. The Supreme Court reprimanded the state government and said that if it did not take action, the court would definitely take action.
Supreme Court Chief Justice DY Chandrachud said, “We are very disturbed about the video that came out yesterday. We are expressing our deep concern. Now the time has come for the government to step up and take action. This is unacceptable.”
Some people in BJP condemned the atrocities on women. This morning Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the incident in Manipur was “shameful for any civilized nation, the entire country has been put to shame.”
In his opening speech in Parliament, he said, “I want to assure the country that no guilty will be spared. Action will be taken according to the law. What happened to the daughters of Manipur can never be forgiven.”
But the Congress did not calm down on this. She is demanding that the Prime Minister make a statement in both the Houses of Parliament. The monsoon session of Parliament has started today itself.
Congress’s Jairam Ramesh, who is also the party’s communication in-charge, tweeted that the Prime Minister’s statement was too short, too late.
Ramesh tweeted, “After over 1,800 hours of incomprehensible and inexcusable silence, the PM finally spoke for a total of 30 seconds on Manipur… He made no appeal for peace, nor did he ask the Manipur CM to step down.”
She also accused PM Modi of trying to divert attention from massive failures of governance and human tragedy by equating crimes against women in other states, especially those ruled by the opposition.
The Congress has been criticizing the Prime Minister’s silence and the government’s inaction since ethnic violence broke out in Manipur on May 3. Yesterday’s video has given the opposition in the Parliament an opportunity to sharpen their attitude. Ramesh said that the discussion on Manipur in Parliament is “non-negotiable”.
The government has agreed to hold a discussion on Manipur tomorrow. Sources said the Home Minister would “give a detailed response on Manipur in the House when the discussion on Manipur takes place”.