1. Home
  2. Nation
  3. China lost 45 soldiers in Galwan valley clash with India at LAC: Reports

China lost 45 soldiers in Galwan valley clash with India at LAC: Reports

By Saima Siddiqui 
Updated Date
China lost 45 soldiers in Galwan valley clash with India at LAC: Reports

Beijing: The violent Galwan Valley face-off between China-India in May and June 2020 had martyred many soldiers of both the sides. However, till now China has maintained silence over the casualties it suffered in clash with the Indian troops in Eastern Ladakh, but a Russian news agency TASS now claims that the Beijing had lost at least 45 soldiers in that violent faceoff between the two armies.

Also Read :- Armies of India, Pakistan agree to ceasefire observance along LoC

In its report on India-China border troops disengagement, TASS, said that the both the forces clashed in the region in May and June 2020, resulting in at least 20 Indian and 45 Chinese servicemen dead. “Following these incidents, New Delhi and Beijing increased the concentration of forces in the region to about 50,000 people each,’’ it added.

The Russian report comes on the day when the border troops of the two-nuclear-powered Asian giants began withdrawing troops from the shared border near the Pangong Tso Lake, in accordance with earlier talks.

The disengagement of troops was also confirmed by the Chinese Defense Ministry on Wednesday. “Both sides simultaneously commence the planned withdrawal of forces from the border in accordance with agreements, achieved during the 9th round of negotiations at the army commanders’ level,” the Chinese Defense Ministry statement read.

Meanwhile, the spokesperson of China’s Ministry of National Defence, Wu Qian said, “According to the consensus reached by the 9th round of the military commander-level talks between China and India, the frontline units of the Chinese and Indian armed forces in Pangong Hunan and North Coast began to simultaneously and systematically organize disengagement on February 10.”

Also Read :- India-China16-hour-long talks fail to end LAC impasse at ‘friction points’

The Indian and Chinese troops have been engaged in skirmishes along the LAC near Pangong lake in Ladakh and the Tibet Autonomous Region, since May last year after the face-off, follwoing which the Modi-government had send massive deployments to Ladakh.

All this while both the countries remained engaged in talks through established institutions and mechanisms like ‘Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on China-India Border Affairs’ (WMCC) and held several rounds of talks at diplomatic and military levels.

Lately, on January 24, the 9th round of the Corps Commander level meeting was held. The tensions between the two Asian nations resulted in banning several mobile applications and people boycotting Chinese products. Furthermore, accusations that Chinese smartphone apps were stealing Indian data, led to the banning of over 200 Chinese apps by government.

However, it didn’t affect bilateral trade and it continued through the hostility and during the coronavirus pandemic.

Also Read :- Parliament Panel plans to visit Galwan, Pangong sites; RaGa skips the meet
Further reading:
For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook and Twitter ...