Sikkim: China on Monday reacting to the recent clashes between the Chinese and Indian soldiers along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Naku La area of Sikkim said its troops were “committed to uphold peace and tranquility” at its border areas.
As per reports, several soldiers from both the sides were reportedly injured in the last week Sino-Indo clash after the Indian troops stopped a People’s Liberation Army (PLA) patrol team from intruding in Indian territory at Naku La in Sikkim.
The physical fight between border soldiers took place ahead of the ninth round of military talks, held on Sunday on the disengagement of Indian and Chinese army from face-off points along the LAC.
Meanwhile, China has neither confirmed nor denied the latest clash between the border troops during the regular ministry briefing on Monday.
“On the specific (incident) you mentioned, I don’t have any information to offer. I would like to stress though the Chinese border troops are committed to upholding peace and tranquility along the border with India,” said Zhao Lijian, Chinese ministry spokesperson.
“We urge the Indian side to work in the same direction with us and refrain from actions that might escalate or complicate the situation along the border. We hope both will take proper actions to manage the differences and take concrete actions to safeguard the peace and stability along the border,” he further added.
Zhao also revealed that the information on the latest round of talks will be released later.
“I can confirm that a new round of talks has been held. The two sides upon agreement will release information in due course,” he had said.
As per a joint statement issued after the eighth round of military talks held at Chushul, on November 6, both sides would continue dialogue on the disengagement,
“The two sides had a candid, in-depth and constructive exchange of views on disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of China-India border areas,” the statement read.
“Both sides agreed to earnestly implement the important consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries, ensure their frontline troops to exercise restraint and avoid misunderstanding and miscalculation.”
“Both sides agreed to maintain dialogue and communication through military and diplomatic channels, and, taking forward the discussions at this meeting, push for the settlement of other outstanding issues, so as to jointly maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas. They also agreed to have another round of meeting soon,” the statement further revealed.
So far, diplomatic talks have failed to resolve the ongoing border friction between the two neighbours. However, both sides said they would maintain consultations through diplomatic and military channels, whereas, Indian side said the disengagement should be in line with existing bilateral agreements and protocols.