Black Mold: As soon as you become aware of mold growth in your home, take steps to control and remediate it. Black mold exposure can cause serious health problems and damage the structure of your home if not treated quickly. Learn how to get rid of black mold and prevent it from reappearing.
Black mold (stachybotrys chartarum) is a greenish-black mold that releases reproductive seeds, or spores, when disturbed. The mold itself is not toxic, but the mycotoxins is produces are poisonous. These mycotoxins attach to the mold spores and migrate to other surfaces where they can be inhaled by humans and animals. If ingested, these spores can cause severe health issues, including chronic fatigue, excessive coughing, irritation of the nose, eyes and throat, nausea, vomiting, and even bleeding in the lungs. If you have one or more of these symptoms, you could be experiencing black mold poisoning. To prevent side effects from getting worse, seek medical treatment immediately and create a plan to get rid of the toxic black mold in your home.Once you’ve identified mold in your house, follow these six steps to remove black mold:
* Wear protective gear
Before beginning the removal process, take necessary safety precautions to prevent allergic reactions and possible health hazards. Always wear a face mask or respirator when removing black mold to avoid breathing in mold spores. Protect your skin by wearing a long shirt, pants, and rubber gloves.
* Seal off the affected area
Cover doorways and vents to prevent mold spores from traveling to other areas of your house. You can tape a plastic sheet over these openings to firmly seal them off.
* Remove moisture source
Throw away any materials, including towels, clothing, and furniture, that have been affected by mold. Repair leaky sources, such as a sink or window, that could be causing mold buildup. If an area retains any moisture, there is the possibility for mold growth to recur, so be sure to leave spots as dry as possible.
* Wash away the mold
Use soapy water and a sponge to remove black mold from any affected surfaces.
* Use a disinfectant product
After washing away the mold, use a disinfectant product to remove any remaining mold spores. We recommend chemical solutions like RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain & Mildew Remover or MoldSTAT Plus to remove mold fast. When using these products, be sure to keep them away from children and pets.
In addition to these commercial products, a simple bleach solution (one cup of bleach mixed with one gallon of water) can help eliminate mold. Avoid mixing bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners since the combination can cause hazardous fumes. Regardless of which disinfectant product you use, make sure to spray the infected spots and the surrounding area to fully eliminate mold spores that may have spread.
* Remove used cleaning materials
To prevent any more mold exposure, place all used sponges, towels, and other cleaning materials in a garbage bag and throw them away. Wash your hands and clothes immediately after the mold removal process.