1. Home
  2. Region
  3. J&K : 3 terrorists, including 1 JeM operative, gunned down in Srinagar encounter

J&K : 3 terrorists, including 1 JeM operative, gunned down in Srinagar encounter

By Priyanka Verma 
Updated Date

Srinagar: Three terrorists were gunned down by joint security forces of the Indian Army and Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) police on Friday morning after an overnight encounter in Srinagar, police said.Three policemen and a CRPF jawan were injured in the shootout in Panthachowk, they said.

Also Read :- J&K: Former CM Mehbooba Mufti asked to vacate her allotted residence in Anantnag within 24 hours

One of the killed terrorists has been identified as Suhail Ahmad Rather, a Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorist who was involved in an attack on a police bus near a police camp at Zewan on the outskirts of Srinagar, leaving three policemen dead.With this operation, the police said that all the terrorists involved in the deadly attack on Jammu and Kashmir Armed Police personnel, have been eliminated.

“A terrorist identified as Suhail Ahmad Rather, affiliated with terror outfit JeM, along with two other unidentified terrorists neutralised in an encounter with security forces in Srinagar late night,” said Vijay Kumar, the inspector general of Kashmir Police.

“Incriminating material including arms and ammunition recovered.”

“As revealed during yesterday’s Press Conference, terrorist Suhail was also involved in Zewan Terror Attack. All terrorists involved in the Zewan attack have been neutralised,” Kashmir Zone Police on Twitter quoted Kumar as saying.

Also Read :- Encounter breaks out between terrorists and security forces at Kapren area in J&K's Shopian, 2 militants trapped

This is the third encounter within 36 hours and the number of terrorists killed has risen to nine.

Earlier, six terrorists, including two Pakistan nationals, were shot dead in two separate encounters with the security forces in the Anantnag and Kulgam districts of Jammu and Kashmir.

Three policemen had died and over a dozen were injured after terrorists resorted to heavy firing on the bus in the highly secure area that houses several camps of various security forces on December 13.

The attack took place days after two policemen were killed after terrorists opened fire at a police team in Kashmir’s Bandipora district. Two policemen were critically injured and were shifted to a hospital where the doctors declared them dead on arrival. The incident took place in Bandipora’s Gulshan Chowk on December 10.

Also Read :- J&K: In a tragic incident, 20 injured after bus overturns in Kupwara district

This was the second major terrorist attack in the valley after the recent spate of targeted attacks on migrant workers and members of the minority communities in Kashmir. All the terrorists behind the target killings have been killed in a series of encounters in the last two months, the police had said.

Further reading:
For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...