1. Home
  2. Sports
  3. Lionel Messi in tears as he confirms his Barcelona exit

Lionel Messi in tears as he confirms his Barcelona exit

By Saima Siddiqui 
Updated Date

Argentinian superstar and six times a Ballon d’Or winner, Lionel Messi, fought back tears on August 8 as he began a press conference at which he confirmed his Barcelona exit, where he has played his entire career. He was emotional before he even made an opening statement.

Also Read :- Thomas Muller reveals Germany's 3-3 draw with England in UEFA Nations League not to hamper team's preparation in World Cup

The 34-year-old has been out of contract since the end of June and Barca say they cannot afford to keep him, with Paris Saint-Germain widely expected to try to entice him to the Parc des Princes. “This year, my family and I were convinced we were going to stay here, at home — this is what we wanted more than anything,” said a suited Messi as he struggled to contain his emotions.

Also Read :- Historic moment: 20-Year-old footballer Manisha Kalyan becomes first Indian to play in UEFA Women's Champions League

“These recent days, I’ve been giving lots of thought about what I could say, and the truth is that I can’t think of anything,” Messi told a news conference as hundreds of fans, many wearing his number 10 jersey, massed outside Barca’s Camp Nou stadium to bid farewell to the player.

“This is really difficult for me after so many years, being here my entire life, I’m not ready for this and honestly last year with all the nonsense, I was convinced I knew what I wanted to say but this year is not the same.”

Last year he sought to engineer a release from his contract in frustration at some poor showings in Europe by the club where he has won four Champions Leagues but ended up staying. This time he came to an agreement to stay but financial stumbling blocks at Barca meant La Liga would not allow the deal. Last month Barcelona, battling huge debts, had said they were in agreement in principle with the player and his entourage on a new five-year deal on much reduced wages.

He is out of contract and will leave for free, with Messi, six times a Ballon d’Or winner, saying a Paris Saint-Germain move is now “possible” but that he has no final agreement with anyone at present.

“My family and I were convinced I wanted to stay here, that’s what we all wanted more than anything. We thought we’d be staying here in Barcelona, today I have to say goodbye to all of this,” he said.

Also Read :- Messi majestic as Argentina triumph over Italy by 3-0 in La Finalissima

“We’ve always made this our home, we’re at home and we thought we’d be staying here in Barcelona.”

The 34-year-old has been at Barcelona for 21 years and became its all-time top goalscorer with 682.

“I’ve been here so many years, my entire life since I was 13. After 21 years, I’m leaving with my wife, my three little Catalan-Argentine kids, and I can’t tell you we won’t come back because this is my home, and I promised my children that.

“I tried to behave with humility and respect, and I hope that is what remains of me when I leave the club.

“As long as I go on being competitive and as long as my body responds [I’ll carry on playing],” he added. “As long as I can, I will carry on competing.”

Messi said that he believed he would be staying at the club, with a five-year deal agreed on a 50 percent pay-cut, only for a surprise u-turn to happen late last week.

Also Read :- FIFA decides to expel Russia from World Cup over Ukraine invasion: Report

“My contract was never the issue … what I know is that I did everything I could. The club say it could not happen because of La Liga. I can guarantee you that I did everything I could to stay.”

All 35 trophies he won during his time at the club were laid out for what the club described would be a private photo session after the news conference.

Further reading:
For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...