Five laborers died after inhaling suspected poisonous gas emanating from a factory tank in Madhya Pradesh's Morena district on Wednesday. A senior officer gave this information.
Bhopal: Five workers dies of asphyxiation allegedly due to exposure of poisonous gas while cleaning a tank at a factory in Madhya Pradesh’s Morena district on Wednesday morning. The dead included three siblings – residents of Tiktoli village – while the remaining two were residents of Ghuraiya Basai village. The incident took place at 10 am in the factory located in Noorabad police station area. The artificial cherry used in paan was manufactured in the factory.
Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Bhupendra Singh Kushwaha said that around 11 am, gas started coming out of a tank at the food manufacturing factory and two laborers entered it to check it. He became ill after inhaling the gas. He told that after this three more laborers were affected. He said that all were taken to the district hospital where civil surgeon Gajendra Singh Tomar declared them brought dead. SDM said that more information is awaited.
Malkhan Singh Chauhan, in-charge of Noorabad police station, said, “The cherry used in paan is manufactured in the factory. The workers who descended into the tank were exposed to some toxic gases. When one person started fainting, others also entered the tank in an attempt to save him.
“One by one all five people entered the tank and died,” he said. Three were siblings and two were from another village.” He said, “After getting information, we reached the spot and took them to the hospital but all were declared brought dead. The post-mortem is being done.”
The deceased have been identified as Ramavatar (35), Ram Naresh (40) Veer Singh (30) – all brothers and residents of Tiktoli village – and Ganesh (28) and Girraj (28) – residents of Ghuraiya Basai village. “All the three deceased were brothers from our village. They were seven brothers and sisters. Two big others had died and now these three are also dead. This is a disaster for the family. Aklesh, sarpanch of Tiktoli village, said, “We have come to know that there was some delay in bringing him to the hospital.
Kaushal Basai, representative of the sarpanch of Ghuraiya Basai village, said, “The two people from our village who lost their lives were working in that factory. We are at the district hospital as the post-mortem is underway.”