1. Home
  2. Region
  3. Maharashtra: Couple dies, 3 Injured as fire engulfs residential building at Ghodbunder road in Thane

Maharashtra: Couple dies, 3 Injured as fire engulfs residential building at Ghodbunder road in Thane

Two people of the same family, 60-year-old man and his wife, died and three others were rescued after a major fire engulfs the first floor of a residential building in Ghodbunder Road area in the early hours of Saturday. The injured have been admitted to a hospital, a civic official said.

By Ruchi Upadhyay 
Updated Date

Thane: Two people of the same family, 60-year-old man and his wife, died and three others were rescued after a major fire engulfs the first floor of a residential building in Ghodbunder Road area in the early hours of Saturday. The injured have been admitted to a hospital, a civic official said.

Also Read :- CBI Charge Sheets Seven Individuals in Manipur Armoury Loot Case Amid Ethnic Violence

“The fire broke out on the first floor of the two-storey bungalow in Waghbil. The couple and other members of the family were asleep on the first floor when the incident took place,” chief of the Thane Municipal Corporation’s Regional Disaster Management Cell (RDMC) Yasin Tadvi said.

A local fire brigade team accompanied with the RDMC rushed to the spot and started the rescue operation. They broke open the windowpanes and gained entry into the house to rescue the trapped family members, he said.

Visuals of the residential building are doing rounds on the social media. The fire was brought under control quickly, while two firefighting vehicles can be seen parked in the area.

The elderly couple was found unconscious in their bedroom. The husband-wife duo along with other family members were rescued and the blaze was doused by around 4.30 am, he said.

Also Read :- UP govt job aspirant hangs self at home in Firozabad district as depressed over paper leak

“All of them were promptly admitted to a local hospital, where the couple – Abhimanyu Madvi and Ramabai (55) – was pronounced dead. They apparently died of suffocation as a result of smoke caused by the fire,” Tadvi added.

The bodies of the deceased were sent for post-mortem, while their three family members were hospitalised.

In yet another fire incident on the same morning today, a massive fire breaks out at scrap shop due to a cylinder blast in the Mumbra area. Three people were injured and are undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital. Visuals from the blast site show the area of the building turned to rubble, while police and firefighting officials can be seen stationed near the blast site.

For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...