Mumbai: At least 25 to 30 motorbikes parked in front of a building in Mumbai’s Kurla locality were gutted after they caught fire. No casualties were reported in the incident.
The massive fire broke out at a residential society in Nehru Nagar, Kurla in the wee hours of Wednesday. According to eyewitness accounts, the huge flames leapt as high as the eighth floor of the building.
Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot and succeeded in dousing the fire after much effort.
Mumbai: A massive fire broke out in around 20 motorcycles parked at a residential society in Nehru Nagar, Kurla earlier this morning. All the motorcycles were gutted in the fire that was later doused by the fire department's personnel. More details awaited. pic.twitter.com/bGBXV2rkzE
— ANI (@ANI) October 13, 2021
While the cause of the blaze is being ascertained, residents of the building said they suspected that someone either deliberately set the fire or smoked a cigarette and carelessly threw the unextinguished butt from the top of the building.
Local police and the fire department are investigating the matter.