More than ten students aged between 8 and 14 fell ill after a chlorine gas leak in a municipal swimming pool in Andhra Pradesh's Vijayawada district. All the children were swimming in a 50 meter pool.
Vijayawada: More than ten students aged between 8 and 14 fell ill after a chlorine gas leak in a municipal swimming pool in Andhra Pradesh’s Vijayawada district. According to sources, the supervisor of the Swimming Pool Academy informed about this on Thursday. The accident took place on Wednesday at the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation swimming pool when the children were practicing in the swimming pool. Children are seriously ill from chlorine leaking into the pool.
All the children were swimming in a 50-metre pool and chlorine gas leaked from a tanker in the 25-metre pool. Please tell that these children were preparing for the competition to be held in Eluru on 11th December. Swimming pool academy supervisor, Rambabu said the incident took place around 8:30 pm on Wednesday night. Some swimmers requested us to allow them to swim as they have a competition on 11th December. We asked them to take permission from the municipal commissioner and they said permission is granted
Ten sick children were shifted to a government hospital and one child was shifted to a private hospital in critical condition and later shifted to a government hospital. However, the condition of all the students is now stable. Parents say that there is a danger due to the negligence of maintenance and management of chlorine system.
“Due to the leakage of chlorine gas in the swimming pool, 10 to 12 students aged between 8-14 years fell ill. We took them to a government hospital. The gas leakage happened due to old equipment and old gas cylinder. It was controlled later. All students are stable now. One of our staff also fell ill in this incident along with students,” Rambabu said.
“I am only the person who records the data of swimmers and the rest are monitored by DFO and municipal corporation officials. The swimming pool is scheduled upto 8 but with the request of the swimmers, it was upto 8:30 pm. We informed the officials about the incident. They had reached the hospital and given assurance to their parents,” he added. (ANI)