Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday met US President Joe Biden for their first bilateral meeting at the White House. He thanked Biden for the warm welcome accorded to him and his delegation at the White House.
“I thank you for the warm welcome accorded to me and my delegation. Earlier, we had an opportunity to hold discussions and at that time you had laid out the vision for India-US bilateral relations. Today, you are taking initiatives to implement your vision for India-US relations,” PM Modi said after interacting with Biden.
What Biden said:
* Mr Prime Minister, we’re going to continue to build on our strong partnership.
* Biden also made a reference to Vice President Kamala Harris’s Indian heritage during the opening segment of their meeting, the first in-person meeting after he had become President.
* Four million Indian-Americans make US stronger every day. I believe US-India can help us solve a lot of challenges.
* We are watching a new chapter in India-US ties.
* Relationship between India and US, largest democracies in world, is destined to be stronger, closer and tighter.
*PM Modi and I are going to talk about what more we could do to fight Covid-19 and ensure stability in indo-pacific.
* I’ve long believed that US-India relationship can help us solve a lot of global challenges. In fact back in 2006 when I was the Vice President, I said that by 2020 India and US will be among the closest nations in the world.
* I’ve long believed that US-India relationship can help us solve a lot of global challenges. In fact, back in 2006, I had said that by 2020 India & the US will be among the closest nations in the world.
What PM Modi said:
* Your leadership will certainly play an important role in how this decade is shaped.
* I see that under your leadership the seeds have been sown for India-US relations to expand.
* Today’s bilateral summit is important. We are meeting at the start of the third decade of this century. Your leadership will certainly play an important role in how this decade is shaped. The seeds have been sown for an even stronger friendship between India and USA.
* Technology is becoming a driving force. We have to utilise our talents to leverage technology for the greater global good.
* President Joe Biden mentioned Gandhi ji’s Jayanti. Gandhi ji spoke about Trusteeship, a concept which is very important for our planet in the times to come.
* Each of the subjects mentioned by President Biden are crucial for the India-USA friendship. His efforts on Covid-19, mitigating climate change and the Quad are noteworthy.
* Trade holds importance on its own b/w India & the US. In this decade, we can be complementary to each other. There are many things with the US, that are needed by India and many things with India that can be useful for the US. Trade will be a major sector in this decade.
While the two leaders have met earlier when Biden was the Vice President of the country, this is for the first time that Biden is meeting Modi after he became the 46th president of the US in January.
Modi is visiting the US for the 7th time after assuming office in 2014. He had said his visit would be an occasion to strengthen the Indo-US Comprehensive Global Strategic Partnership and exchange views on regional and global issues of mutual interest with President Biden.