The Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh’s Agra was shut temporarily and tourists were evacuated after a bomb scare call triggered panic on Thursday morning.
At around 9 am, an unidentified person called the 112 emergency response number of the Uttar Pradesh police and claimed that a bomb was kept inside the monument that is conserved by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and protected by armed personnel of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
The police immediately informed CISF, which asked the visitors to vacate the premises of the 17th-century monument and launched a search. “Nothing suspicious has been found and the checks are almost done,” a senior CISF officer said.
“The hoax call has been traced to Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh and he will be arrested soon,” said SSP.
“Explosives have not been found inside Taj Mahal so far,” said IG (Agra range). The IG further said, “It seemed that it was a mischievous call, but we are taking all precautions and the premises will be opened for public soon.”
The Taj Mahal was reopened for tourists last September with strict coronavirus safety guidelines after being shut for over six months. It had been closed since March 17 last year due to the pandemic.
The ivory-white marble mausoleum attracts seven million visitors each year with a large number of foreign tourists. The Taj and other monuments in Agra, including the Agra Fort. contribute massively to the revenue of Uttar Pradesh.