To treat back cramps at home: Back pain can interrupt your day or interfere with your plans. In fact, there’s an 84 percent chance that you will develop low back pain in your lifetime. But back pain isn’t always something you can ignore or wait for it to resolve on its own. Thankfully, there are several ways to treat back pain at home. These remedies include everything from herbs to massages. Keep reading to see how you can ease your back pain.
One of the commonest reasons would be that of heavy lifting. When there is a huge amount of strain on the muscles of the back and the lower back ligaments, an injury can be caused. Even sports such as golf and football can lead to the cause of back spasms too. This is because such activities need the back to turn fast and rapidly on repeat.
# Get a lot of rest
The moment you feel the attack of a back spasm, you should stop whatever it is that you are doing and seek some rest.
You must get into bed slowly and very carefully, or even sit on a comfortable chair or just lie down and be immobile for some time. You can even use pillows and cushions for support, and breathe deep to stay relaxed. In some cases, people put pillows under the legs to elevate the limbs, which is fine.
This helps reduce the pressure on the spine, and brings relief from the pain too. Rest should be taken as much as possible for around one or two days, experts say. You don’t have to be completely on bed for these one or two days, but don’t indulge in heavy work which can trigger the back spasms again.
# Try using Epsom salt
The occurrence of muscle spasms also happens when the magnesium levels in the body are low. Hence, if you have low magnesium levels, chances are that you would have back spasms as well. You can try using epsom salt in this case, because it has magnesium in it.
The magnesium in epsom salts help relax the muscles and heal the body. However, always remember to wait for two days or forty eight hours before you use the epsom salt. If you have heart problems, diabetes or blood pressure, using epsom salt is not advised.
– To use epsom salt, you would need to fill the tub with warm water first.
– To this, you shall add a cup of epsom salt and then gently stir it into the water.
– You must now soak yourself in this water for half an hour max.
– This bath will help reduce the pains and it should be done once a day until the spasms decline.
# Try using Chamomile
An ancient medicinal herb, chamomile can bring down the uneasiness caused by muscle spasms in the lower back. Chamomile has plenty of flavonoids in it, which has anti-inflammatory properties that bring down the pains. It also has the properties to soothe and calm and to relax the body, which helps the muscle tissues heal faster as well.
– To use chamomile, you would need a few drops of its oil, mixed with two tablespoons of carrier oil, such as coconut oil.
– Massage the area which is affected three to four times a day.
– You can also prepare cups of chamomile tea and drink it thrice a day, which helps relax the muscles of the back that are sore.
# Are you drinking enough of water?
You should know that one of the reasons why we have muscle spasms of the back is because of dehydration. Even when the electrolyte balance in the body is poor, muscle spasms can happen, especially in the lower back region.
You need to rehydrate your body as much as possible to help solve the problem to a large extent. You should try having fruits and veggies that have plenty of water content in them. And there are even sports drinks that have electrolytes in them, which helps balance the electrolytes in the body.
# Do try a Cold Compress
It is a conservative treatment no doubt, but one that works. Applying cold compresses to the affected area can help bring down back spasms to a large extent. The cold compress is most effectively used within the first twenty four to seventy two hours. In doing so, the inflammation is reduced and the pains are brought down to a large extent. With cold compresses the muscles are forced to shrink, and this stops any energy from feeding the spasm as well.
– What you need to do is to wrap in a thin cotton towel a couple of ice cubes.
– The cotton towel should be placed on the affected area for around fifteen minutes.
– This should be repeated every hour for the first twenty four to forty eight hours.