Two people perished and two others fell ill due to suffocation while attempting to unblock a sewer line in Delhi.
New Delhi: Two people perished and two others fell ill due to suffocation while attempting to unblock a sewer line in Delhi.
The cleaner of the housing society, Rohit, entered the pit but lost consciousness amidst poisonous gases. According to the police, sewer obstruction difficulties were reported at Bakkarwala in Delhi.
When security guard Ashok rushed towards the pit to rescue Rohit, he, too, fainted due to poisonous gas, they said.
Later, two more sweepers were called in for the rescue of two people. However, they also become unconscious because of phyxiation.
Local residents were able to bring the two sweepers out of the pit, but Alok and Rohit went too deep into the sewer line.
Later, the fire brigade rushed to the spot and brought Alok and Rohit out by breaking the pit. Rohit and Ashok were taken to the nearby Rathi Hospital, where doctors declared them dead
Their dead bodies have been kept at the SGM mortuary. A case under Section 304A (Causing Death by Negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered.