1. Home
  2. World
  3. UNSC meet on Ukraine: India condemns civilian killings in Bucha, backs probe

UNSC meet on Ukraine: India condemns civilian killings in Bucha, backs probe

By Saima Siddiqui 
Updated Date

United Kingdom: Delivering strongest statement on the Ukraine situation, India on Tuesday “unequivocally condemned”  the killings of civilians in Bucha and backed the call for an independent investigation.

Also Read :- 4 Kids among 9 dead in gas cylinder blast on Russia’s island of Sakhalin

India condemns Bucha killings, “Recent reports of civilian killings in Bucha are deeply disturbing. We unequivocally condemn these killings and support the call for an independent investigation”, India’s Permanent Representative T S Tirumurti said at the Security Council.

While the West led by the US has accused Russia of carrying out the killings, Russia has described images of mass graves and brutalised bodies strewn on the streets as “monstrous forgery’’. India’s condemnation of the civilian killings stopped short of blaming Russia as the Indian diplomat straddled the fine line of neutrality by not naming Russia.

Meanwhile, the support for independent probe, as sought by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, is significant as Moscow battles global indignation over the Bucha killings.

“India continues to remain deeply concerned at the worsening situation and reiterates its call for immediate cessation of violence and end to hostilities”, he said. 

Also Read :- Hundreds of people ‘disappeared’ in Kherson, Ukraine, under Russian control: Report

“We continue to emphasize to all member states of the UN that the global order is anchored on international law, UN Charter and respect for territorial integrity and sovereignty of states”, he added in an implied criticism of Russia. 

Over the weekend harrowing images of atrocities against civilians in Bucha from where Russian troops have emerged and the incidents dominated the Security Council meeting.

Before Tirumurti spoke, Zelensky through a video link said that in Bucha “there is not a single crime that they would not commit” and listed a range of horrific atrocities that he said had been committed by the Russian troops that withdrew from the city near Kyiv.

He likened the atrocities there to those committed by the Islamic State terrorist organisations in the Middle East.

He showed the Council a video that he said documented what he called war crimes, showing piles of bodies, some with hands bound.

Also Read :- Ukraine reclaims 50 percent of its former territory from Russia; Zelensky thanks NATO and other allies

Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the Security Council, “I will never forget the horrifying images of civilians killed in Bucha”.

“I am also deeply shocked by the personal testimony of rapes and sexual violence that are now emerging”, he said while calling for an independent inquiry.

Russia’s Permanent Representative Vasily Nebenzia asserted that some images in the video were staged and others showed victims of Ukrainian forces or “neo-Nazis” and questioned the timeline of the video and other images that have emerged.

UN Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo said, “The horror deepened this past week as shocking images emerged of dead civilians, some with hands bound, lying in the streets of Bucha, the town near Kyiv formerly held by Russian forces. Many bodies were also found in a mass grave in the same locality”.

“Reports by non-governmental organisations and media also allege summary executions of civilians, rape and looting in the Chernihiv, Kharkiv and Kyiv regions” she added.

As the invasion continues into its second month, Tirumurti said, “The situation in Ukraine has not shown any significant improvement since the Council last discussed the issue. The security situation has only deteriorated, as well as its humanitarian consequences”. 

Also Read :- Ukraine's president, Zelensky, claims most drone ‘monsters’ launched by Russia shot down

He added, “When innocent human lives are at stake, diplomacy must prevail as the only viable option. In this context, we take note of the ongoing efforts, including the meetings held recently between the parties,” he added. 

Representatives of Russia and Ukraine have held in-person meetings in Turkey and followed it up with virtual talks, but with no sign of a ceasefire.

In addition, Guterres has designated Under-Secretary-General Martin Griffiths for a UN peace effort in Ukraine.

He had visited Moscow over the weekend.

Tirumurti said that New Delhi hoped the international community would continue to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine adding, “We stand ready to provide more medical supplies to Ukraine in the coming days”.

The country has already sent medicines and relief materials to Ukraine and its neighbours, he said.

Also Read :- Russia's defence minister calls on Rajnath Singh and NATO defence ministers over Ukraine's 'dirty bomb' threat
Further reading:
For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...