1. Home
  2. Trending
  3. Wimbledon organisers talking with UK government over Participation of Russian and Belarusian tennis players

Wimbledon organisers talking with UK government over Participation of Russian and Belarusian tennis players

By wasmulhaq 
Updated Date

The war between Russia and Ukraine has been intensifying with each passing day. Several cities in Ukraine, especially Bucha, are badly destroyed. The massacre in Bucha is condemned all over the world. India is not behind in it.

Also Read :- Telangana cops tow car with YS Sharmila Reddy's sitting inside for protesting against CM

Speaking in Parliament, Minister of External Affairs said that the Bucha butchering must be investigated independently. The war is not going to bring any fruitful results. Its effects are visible in cultural and sporting events.

In connection with war, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) is busy in discussion with the British government over the participation of the players from Russia and Belarus in this year’s grand slam, Wimbledon.

Belarus supports Russia against Ukraine

Belarus is indirectly involved in the Russia-Ukraine war. It has been supporting Russia in this hostile war. It is considered the most severe since the Second World War.

Also Read :- Tamil Nadu: In view of continuous rain, schools and colleges remain closed in Virudhunagar district

Currently, Russian and Belarusian players have permission to take part in tennis tournaments such as the ATP and WTA Tours. But players can’t participate under the name or flag of their countries amidst Russia’s incessant attack and carpet bombardment in several Ukrainian cities.

Russia was also barred from defending its team titles in the Davis Cup and the Billie Jean King Cup. Daniil Medvedev, the world No. 2 tennis star,’s participation in this summer’s championship is in jeopardy.

The AELTC, organisers of the grass court Grand Slam, said in a statement: “We have noted the UK government’s guidance regarding the attendance of Russian and Belarusian individuals in a neutral capacity at sporting events in the UK.”

The final decision regarding the participation of the Russian and Belarusian tennis players in this year’s Wimbledon will be taken in mid-May. Wimbledon is the only grand slam tournament that is held on grass courts. This year, the prestigious tournament will be underway from June 27-July 10.

British Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said last month that he would not be comfortable with a “Russian athlete flying the Russian flag” and winning Wimbledon in London.

Also Read :- Anupam Kher lashed out at IFFI jury head for calling The Kashmir Files 'vulgar'

The Russian atrocities in Ukraine are a condemnable act. A huge number of innocent people died. Dead bodies are scattered on the roads. Despite the negotiations by several countries, Putin is not ready to stop his troops. His approach is dangerous for the entire world.

Russia should be banned in all segments, including sporting and cultural arenas. Sanctions are to be imposed on Russia as well, so that it won’t dare take such a step in the future.

Wasim Haque

For the latest news and reviews, follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter पर फॉलो करे...