New Delhi: On Thursday, June 7, Chocolate Day or International Chocolate Day is celebrated every year. It’s hard to live without chocolates. This sweet delight has remained everyone’s favourite since childhood. Chocolates are irresistible and occupy an important place in our lives. Chocolate works as a soothing therapy for your sore throat, sharpens your memory and protects your brain from ageing. The day is significant as it is dedicated to chocolates, which are loved across borders. It is the best gift for the people you love residing in different regions and having distinct cultures.
History and significance
The exact origins of chocolate are difficult to trace, but researchers believe that its history is about 2,000 years or more. The word ‘chocolate’ is derived from the Aztec word “zocotl”, which indicates a bitter drink made from cocoa beans. In ancient Mesoamerica, which is present-day Mexico, people viewed cocoa beans as “the food of the gods.” The first chocolate company was set up in America and was called Baker’s Chocolate. After this many other companies like Cadbury, Nestle, etc also opened up. The day is celebrated to make people aware of the benefits as well as harms of chocolates. It also aims to make people aware of the process of making and manufacturing chocolates.
Benefits of chocolates
1.Reduces stress- Chocolate helps you reduce stress. It helps the body in bringing down the level of stress hormone cortisol. Also, chocolate has the ability to make one happy by releasing endorphins in the body. especially dark chocolates feel less stressed than the ones who didn’t eat them.
2. Improves heart health- The antioxidants present in dark chocolate help in lowering blood pressure and increasing blood circulation in the heart. It’s also believed that consuming dark chocolate lowers the risk of heart diseases.
3. Improves functions in the brain- Flavonols present in chocolate improve reaction time and also help in having a stronger memory.
4. Protects skin from dehydration The antioxidants also help you stay protected from the sun, adding up to your sunscreen. It increases skin hydration and density by improving blood circulation in the skin.
5. Weight management: Although we feel that consuming chocolates means adding more calories that ultimately lead to weight gain, it’s actually the opposite. Dark chocolate may aid weight loss through several mechanisms like curbing your appetite and hunger pangs.
6. It helps ease menstrual cramps Yes! Dark chocolate may help to ease menstrual cramps as it has a high magnesium content.
7. Boosts energy levels- Chocolates are rich in theobromine and caffeine, that help in boosting energy levels. Though it is not as high as coffee, still it will make you feel a bit more energetic than usual.
Wishes and quotes
1.On the occasion of World Chocolate Day, I wish that you are showered with an unlimited supply of chocolates by your friends and family to make it a happier life for you.
2.A little bit of sweetness can drown out a whole lot of bitterness!
3.”The moment of cocoa-drinking was always the moment of confidence.” -Stella Benson
4.”When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.” -Regina Brett
5.“Anything is good if it’s made of chocolate.” – Jo Brand
6.”Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.” -Tom Hanks
7.”Look, there’s no metaphysics on earth like chocolates.” -Fernando Pessoa
8.“Chocolate says “I’m sorry” so much better than words.” -Rachel Vincent
9.Chocolate tastes sweeter when it’s shared with you. Happy World Chocolate Day!
10.I hope you have a day as sweet as chocolate. Happy Chocolate Day!
11.May your life become as delicious as a chocolate bar. Happy World Chocolate Day!
12.Thank you so much for brightening up my day and making me feel special every day of the year. Happy World Chocolate Day!