New Delhi: Every year, World Environment Day celebrated on june 5. It is the biggest international day for the environment. The day is celebrated to mark the importance of nature and raise awareness for the protection of the environment.
United Nations Conference on the Human Environment aka the Stockholm conference held in 1972 became the first world conference with the environment as its major agenda and it declared the right to live in a healthy environment as a basic human right. Not only was the idea of a World Environment Day formalized there but also this conference saw the creation of the United Nations Environment Programme.
The theme for this year’s celebration of World Environment Day is ‘Only One Earth.’ It highlights the fragility of the planet and is designed to re-enforce the idea that the Earth is humanity’s only home. This was also the slogan for the 1972 conference at Stockholm which led to the birth of the annual global event on June 5.
World Environment Day has been a platform for raising awareness on environmental issues such as marine pollution, overpopulation, global warming, sustainable consumption and wildlife crime. World Environment Day highlights the urgent need to take corrective measures to safeguard our planet. The day aims to focus on the importance of the environment and to remind people that nature should not be taken for granted.
Here are some quotes that you can send to your friends and relatives:
“The environment is everything that isn’t me” – Albert Einstein
“There’s so much pollution in the air now that if it weren’t for our lungs there’d be no place to put it all.” – Robert Orben
“If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either.” – Joseph Wood Krutch
“Our planet’s alarm is going off, and it is time to wake up and take action” – Leonardo DiCaprio.
“What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and one another.”— Mahatma Gandhi
“Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we’ll soon be in trouble.” – Roger Tory Peterson
– On World Environment Day, let’s stop harming nature… Let’s join hands to bring a positive change to make Planet Earth a much healthier, greener and happier place to live.
-Happy World Environment Day, let us work hand in hand to make this world a healthier and safer place for our kids.
-It is not yours, not mine. It is ours. So, protect our mother who nourished you. Happy World Environment Day.
-Happy World Environment Day, what will you give today to ensure a better tomorrow’
– Save the trees our ancestors planted and plant new ones as a gift to the next generation. Make World Environment Day more successful by planting more trees!!!
– Earth is like our home and we must make efforts to keep it clean and green. On World Environment Day, let’s promise to make it a better place to live.
– We cannot imagine prosperity without an environment. We cannot imagine life without the environment. It always comes first and we must make it our priority. A Very Happy World Environment Day.
– World Environment Day is a reminder that we must take good care of our surroundings. Let’s promise to make our planet greener for us to enjoy life.