Due to the poisonous air in Brahmapuram and its surrounding areas, the Kerala government has requested the residents to stay indoors and not to leave windows and doors open.
Kochi: These days there is a lockdown-like situation in Kochi city of Kerala. Very few people are coming out on the streets here. Those who are seen outside, a mask is also visible on their faces. The condition is that children and old people have been completely imprisoned in the house. All this is not because of the outbreak of Corona virus, but because of a fire in a dumping yard here. Actually, a week ago a fire broke out in a dumping yard in Brahmapuram area, whose poisonous smoke has spread in the entire area.
It has been more than eight days but people are not relieved. In other words, the life of the people here has become hell. Due to the toxic fumes, people are feeling burning sensation in the eyes and throat along with difficulty in breathing.
People were advised not to leave the house
Due to the poisonous air in Brahmapuram and its surrounding areas, the Kerala government has requested the residents to stay indoors and not to leave windows and doors open. Experts believe that this poisonous smoke can cause many fatal diseases like cancer.
200 fire engines are engaged in the mission to extinguish the fire. About 50 thousand tonnes of garbage has caught fire. According to sources in the fire department, 70 percent of the area where smoldering plastic waste has been extinguished. The work to control the smoke is going on in the remaining 30 percent area.
Schools and colleges closed as a precautionary measure
An Mi 17 helicopter has also been deployed by the Indian Air Force to help in the fire extinguishing work. Orders have been issued to close all schools and colleges in Kochi and neighboring Ernakulam district as a precautionary measure. 24-hour control rooms have been set up in the DMO office. The Government of Kerala has issued guidelines. People have been advised to avoid jogging and exercise outside the house. Also, it has been advised to use N95 mask while going out.